What did we learn last week?
My brother came to visit last week (we had a really great time, btw). As always, this puts the magnifying glass on my life as our styles intermingle and my perspective shifts. So, what did we learn last week?
- I’m bored with food. I’m underweight, so eating more/healthier is important to me, but I don’t get hungry very often. Now, I’ve been keeping a list of the meals I’ve eaten. I can review this list and remind myself of the options I have, instead of going for what’s expedient (fast food).
- Get rid of the clutter in a pragmatic way. Hell, ask myself questions out loud - “Will you ever use this? Will you even remember you have this?” - this will expose some of those pack-rat mind-traps.
- Get interested in things: If something strikes my curiosity, make a small effort to research it! Hop on to Wikipedia. That’s how we expand the breadth of our knowledge.
- Clean up after myself. Yes, I’m a bit of a slob. It happens. But, a clean apartment is something that will make me feel better, and make other people more comfortable when they come over.
- Get out during the day. It’s amazing how different “the world” is at noon on a weekday, rather than at noon on a weekend. It’s totally different. There’s more life, more vigor. Take a day off every month or two and just explore the city at a different time of day. It’s really mind-expanding and puts the spotlight on what REAL people, like us, do with our lives on a mass scale.
Obviously, I learned much more than this, and I’ll need to come back for revisions. But being blessed with a new perspective, even temporarily, is a great experience. Hopefully these are lessons I can take with me over time.